Hello there (or should I say Bonjour!),
Apologies for the absence. I hope you haven’t miss me much.
I’ve been busy after getting back from my travels. I know I should have shared this sooner.
This is my second time to Paris (and it wouldn’t be my last). Je t’aime Paris.
I love her the first time, maybe more now.
The people whom I meet seem to be on two extreme camps when it comes to Paris. One half of them would be wax-lyrical about Paris – the food, the shopping, the city and anything and everything that they love about the City of Lights. The other half would be say how much they think Paris is overrated and everything they dislike about the city (many of those reasons can be very extreme). I am not sure if it’s just the people I talk to but Paris seem to illicit such a wide spectrum of intense and extreme emotions.
As for me, you probably would have guessed from my previous blog posts that I belong to the camp who adores Paris. Just to share with you some things I love about this city.
5 things I love about Paris:
1. J’adore… the architecture and random buildings with rich history and stories that you stumble upon at every turn. It can be an old bookshop where Ernest Hemingway and James Joyce used to frequent (Shakespeare & Company) or the gothic building (Palais de Justice) that has been used as the courthouse during the French Revolution or the blue door that leads to Van Gogh’s home in Paris (54 Rue Lepic) or one of the oldest (and beautiful) squares in Paris, Place des Vosges.
2. J’adore… les jardins (or the gardens) many of them are so close to the city..like Jardin des Tuileries and Jardin du Luxembourg. They are beautiful gardens that are big enough for a stroll and probably a good place to rest your tired feet and have some of your takeaway pastries or if you fancy, even a picnic. Angelina is just across the road from Jardin des Tuileries and you can take away some pastries or delicious hot chocolate (if you are there on a cold day). You have to try their Mont Blanc or if they run out of it, the Mont Blanc éclair is delectable too!
3. J’adore… les gâteaux et pâtisseries (the cakes and pastries, course). Throw in the flakey and buttery croissants, the galaxy of macaron flavours, the chocolates.. Paris is the place to be for all dessert lovers. The Parisians love their sweets and they take pride in making them. There’s so much finesse in all their cakes and pastries. It’s hard for me to pick a clear favourite. I will share my favourite pastry and sweets shops in another post.
4. J’adore… les arts (the art) that you will find in Paris. I’m no art history buff but Paris has so much to offer when it comes to art. And I’m not just referring to Musée du Lourve. Musée D’orsay is my favourite and it houses a very well-curated range of impressionist and post-impressionist artwork. Musée de l’Orangerie has some very good pieces, amongst them, Claude Monet’s Nymphéas (Water Lilies) is a piece that has an astounding effect on one. I guarantee that it will leave you awestruck even if you think you know Monet’s Water Lilies.
5. J’adore… the long and random (the more random, the better) walks in Paris – the sights and colours, the smells, the sounds. The walks along La Seine is lovely and so is exploration of the Le Marais neighbourhood. The metro system gets you just about everywhere quite easily and from there you can walk anywhere. It is a walking city and a beautiful walking city that calls out to you to put on some walking shoes and let them take you everywhere.
Those are just five things I love about Paris. What about you?